We currently offer several computer classes completely free of charge to The Greater Lowell community. While these classes do teach valuable skills, we feel that it is a good time to update our classes to better reflect the skills needed for navigating today’s technology. In order to do that, we need input from you, our current and/or future students. Please complete our survey by October 31st and tell us which computer skills you would like to learn. This survey is available online and in printed form at the Main branch’s 2nd Floor Reference Desk and at the Senior Center Library Branch. Whether you fill out the survey online or on paper, please answer as thoroughly and honestly as possible. Thank you for your feedback! Click here to go to our Computer Classes Survey!
Current Computer Class Description:
The Pollard Library offers a monthly rotating schedule of beginner computer classes. Classes occur in the computer lab on the 2nd floor of the Lowell Senior Center near the Senior Center Branch of the library. The classes are designed for persons with little or no computer experience. The core classes cover the following topics:
- Introduction to PCs- general overview of using a personal computer: how to turn it on and off, working with Windows, using the Mouse …
- Mouse- not a rodent, but a way of moving around the computer screen!
- Introduction to the Internet- learn the ins and outs of the World Wide Web. Prerequisite: Must be able to use a mouse
- Email- learn basic email features and set up a free email account. Prerequisites: Mouse and Intro to PCs
- Word1- learn how to create, edit and save documents in Microsoft Word Prerequisites: Mouse and basic typing skills
- Word2- learn how to use the editing features of Word, which includes the toolbar dropdown menus. Prerequisites: Mouse, Word1 or proficient typing skills
We sometimes offer special interest classes on topics such as:
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Publisher, Facebook, Twitter, Genealogy, Keyboard Shortcuts, Creating Resumes, and the use of various electronic eReaders (Kindle, Nook, etc).
Current Schedule of Classes:
Click on the links below for a schedule of current computer classes:
Classes are limited to 10 students. You may sign up over the phone (978-674-4121) or in person at the 2nd Floor Reference Desk of the Main Library